The site has been occupied for much longer. Hundreds of flints from the Mesolithic, Neolithic and bronze ages show that several thousand years ago people were manufacturing tools here. There was a small Iron Age farm. In the Roman period stone building, farm or villa, stood just north of and perhaps partly under the church. Fragments of Roman tile, one stamped with the makers name ARVERI, have been found built into the church walls.
At about the time of Domesday book there was a Lord's timber hall just west of the church, with a moat around it. A few decades later the hall was rebuilt and the moat enlarged. A bridge led across the moat to a small stone church.
The remains of this church can still be seen; the west tower, the round-headed west door with zig-zag ornament, the small window in the nave, and the north door are all Norman work.
The 12th century church
and Lords Hall
The church c. 1100